Monday, May 6, 2013

"You Know I'd Beg for You" (From the Archives)

I have a confession to make: I am not always as gung ho about STP's output as I claim to be.

As a matter of fact, there are three songs in their repertoire that I rarely allow myself to hear. One is "Huckleberry Crumble" from Stone Temple Pilots (I hate the title and think Scott Weiland sounds ridiculous), "Days of the Week" from Shangri-La Dee Da (which is so NOT-STP-esque that I can't even handle it), and "Still Remains," the track that follows "Interstate Love Song" on Purple.

The band. Left to right: Dean DeLeo, Scott Weiland, Robert DeLeo, and Eric Kretz.

Weiland's vocals are uneven, and ultimately, it's like any other overwrought love song out there. However, I can't fault STP for this tune. After all, they were bound to record an ode to their loved ones eventually.

The good news is that there is a certain melodic sensibility that saves "Still Remains" from itself--take away the lyrics, and it's not so bad. It's also in an important place on the album: if it wasn't a buffer in between "Interstate Love Song" and "Pretty Penny," we might not be able to appreciate those songs as much, because they wouldn't have proper bookends.

Fun fact: there are no fun facts about this song.

Come back tomorrow and join me as I take a look at "Pretty Penny"!

Image via Below Empty.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment