Wednesday, January 6, 2016

New Year, New Playlist: 2016

I had a tradition on my first blog, What We Covet, of starting each new year off with a playlist of music I intend to take with me throughout the year. As with the previous lists, the songs were culled from my current collection. Most aren't recent, but they certainly sound good to me, and that's really the goal of any playlist I ever make. They come to you in no particular order. I hope you'll check them out, if you're not already familiar with them. Enjoy!
***
1) "Victor," Prinze George

Last summer, I worked for a company that had a corporate playlist, so no matter which of their stores you entered, the soundtrack was the same. This was, far and away, the best song I heard during my time there.

2) "Devil's Whisper," Raury

"Devil's Whisper" was a staple for me when I first arrived in Louisiana because I heard it somewhere within days of arriving and it would not leave my brain. Raury's habit of melding rap, pop, and something else entirely makes him a fresh, standout voice.

3) "All Night Long (All Night)," Lionel Richie

This one kept popping up on Pandora at work, and it makes me want to dance (very poorly, because that's how I roll).

4) "You Rock My World," Michael Jackson

For a number of reasons, Michael Jackson's latter-day output doesn't get the kind of respect his '80s material did, but I think this song--which is more chill than some of his dance jams--is catchy enough to warrant inclusion on this playlist. (Plus I can't resist Chris Tucker's role in the music video. It's a must-see for all Rush Hour fans.)

5) "Anytime," Brian McKnight

A few months back, it occurred to me that I need more Brian McKnight in my life. In fact, EVERYONE needs more Brian McKnight in their lives. Start here, and then start back at one.

6) "Season of the Witch," Donovan

Technically, this should be a Halloween, not a New Year, song, but I don't care because a) Donovan, b) Donovan, and c) Donovan. I rest my case.

7) "Respect," Aretha Franklin

My mother sent me a wreath to decorate my office this past Christmas. I decided to call it Awreatha Franklin. And so here, in honor of Aretha AND Awreatha, I give you one of the greatest recordings she (Aretha, that is) ever made.
 
8) "Hypnotic," Zella Day

This song is honestly not that great (compared Day's other output), but it's catchy as hell, and it gets stuck in my head on the reg. Thus I share it with you.

I invite you all to make your own playlist for the coming year, and share it with me if you're feeling confessional!

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment