Wednesday, July 9, 2014

On Subversion

I would like to preface this post by saying that I don't necessarily advocate that everyone follow the process I've taken, nor do I think it's the best course for myself; it's just that sometimes shit happens. Hope we're all on the same page.

I hate being told what to do. It's a character flaw, one I'm not even trying to remedy. But it's also a genetic trait, so if I wanted to change--I'm not saying I do, but if I did--it would be kind of difficult. Thanks for that, Mom and Dad.

So sometimes I just do what I want. Does that make me a terrible person? No, because I'm not on a crime spree of any sort, and you're welcome for that, world. I would be the most dysfunctional criminal in the history of ever, which means that you would all suffer greatly. Think of me as Loki, but with less flair.

While I have been known to go off on personal rampages, which often means throwing things around, this isn't what I mean by doing what I want. It's more that I take on projects and see them through without, ahem, having permission to do so. Or I give advice that might not be sanctioned by my superiors. There is a good reason for this.

Subterfuge is one thing--that would be bad, deceptive, et cetera. What I'm talking about here is subversion in a tame sense, not the kind that overthrows governments or whatever. Think of it as circumvention: I'm bypassing certain strictures in order to create a more perfect something--not a union (that phrase is already taken, I think), but perhaps a more perfect, or at least more effective, me. Hell, some people believe I'm weird anyway. Why not keep going and prove myself incredible, too, by subverting everyone's notion of who/how I am or should be?

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment