Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Motivational Speaking

Sometimes, writing is the worst thing. It's a drag. It hurts. It doesn't work out the way you want it to. So maybe you decide to give it up. Not forever; just until you're okay again.

I'm terrible about falling into this trap. If I don't feel like writing, I won't do it. There are those out there who insist that you must write every day, or you'll never accomplish anything. As you might have noticed, I don't buy into this idea. However, I begin to suspect that I should.

There are simple ways to motivate myself, I suppose. Set an alarm, tell myself that I should "just keep swimming" (to quote a wise blue fish),  have someone punch me in the face every day I don't write. Okay, that last one is a stretch, but you see the point, I'm sure.

It's possible that I am not the type of person who works well on a schedule. Left to my own devices, I'd sleep all morning and watch TV all afternoon. But discipline is important. Therefore, I'm going to start keeping track of how often I write. That way, I'll be accountable to myself, and that's an important thing.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment