Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Dystopias R Us?

Earlier this year, I claimed to have reread my all-time favorite, Fahrenheit 451. But the fact is, I did no such thing.

Let me be clear: I began my reread, and I got halfway through the book. The reason I posted about finishing that reread is because I thought for sure that I would be done with it by the time the post went live. The reason I didn't finish my reread--and still have not, all these months later--is slightly more complicated.

The thing is, even my beloved book is tainted at the moment. We're living in a world where our President is allowed to get away with almost anything, from arbitrarily revoking press passes to refusing to hold a so-called ally accountable for a despicable murder, from blaming California for its own deadly fires to skipping out on ceremonies commemorating World War I. I could go on, but I think I don't need to, as you've all lived through the same issues.

America, I'm sad to say, feels like it's turning into a dystopia. At the very least, it's become a sideshow laughingstock. And when you see this sort of tarnishing firsthand, it's so tough to continue reading about it on the page; fiction becomes too factual to stomach.

I realize this is a bleak outlook, and I hope to feel better about the world soon. In order for that to happen, though, we have to pull together as a country and demand better of our leaders. A bit of that did happen earlier this month, when voters (including myself) raised their voices at the polls and elected many new Representatives, governors, and other officials to displace those currently in power. If this new group of lawmakers can band together and effect some positive change, I'll be glad. 

In the meantime, I continue to resist, and I encourage you to do the same.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment