Wednesday, October 30, 2013

You're a Poet

Yesterday, it happened again: someone made the assumption that I am a poet.

Look, I get it. I work for a press that focuses on poetry. My undergraduate alma mater is known more for its poetry output than its fiction. Of the reviews I've posted here so far, the majority have been about collections of poetry. Almost all of my publications have been of the verse persuasion.

But the fact is, I have always thought of myself as a fiction writer first. Until partway through my BFA program, I didn't much believe in poetry at all. In grad school, I studied young adult fiction. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Maybe not. Because I didn't see it until about thirty seconds ago. I'm not a prose writer. I'm not a verse writer. I'm just a writer. That's all.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment